Areas and grounds go together
Click play () to listen to the article.
Sybil was discriminated against in the area of tenancy. The ground is source of income.
- I am a single parent. My sons are 3 and 5 years old.
I am unemployed. I get income support (welfare) from the government. The money will help me until I get a new job.
- Recently, my landlord told me, "I don't want people on welfare here. Find a job or get out."
I was upset. I always pay my rent on time. I am a good tenant.
- Then my landlord gave me a letter. It says I have to move out of my apartment in 3 months.
- My sister told me to call the Alberta Human Rights Commission.
- I called the Commission. I talked to a human rights officer.
- I learned about my rights.
- Later, I talked to my landlord. He still says that I have to leave. I'm going to make a complaint.
You will read about complaints under "How to make a complaint."
Due to confidentiality concerns, the Commission cannot reply to complaints of discrimination using the Internet. Please contact the Commission by telephone or regular mail if you have a specific complaint.
You can access information about making FOIP requests for records held by the Commission on our Contact us page.
The Commission will make publications available in accessible multiple formats upon request. Multiple formats provide access for people with disabilities who do not read conventional print.