What the Commission does and does not do

What services does the Alberta Human Rights Commission offer?

The Commission can provide information about:

The Commission can help to resolve and settle complaints of discrimination through:

The Commission provides education and information:

  • About your rights and responsibilities under the Alberta Human Rights Act
  • To help you or your organization learn more about diversity
  • About financial support that can assist organizations in working towards equality and reducing discrimination

The Commission does not:

  • Deal with citizenship matters. Contact Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) for information about citizenship. Citizenship, when referred to in the Commission's name, is in relation to full civic engagement or participation by everyone without discrimination so that everyone feels that they belong.
  • Deal with complaints against federally regulated organizations such as the federal government, banks and airlines. Such cases are handled by the Canadian Human Rights Commission.

The Commission cannot help if your complaint falls outside the protected areas and grounds or took place in another province. In addition, the Commission cannot help if it receives your complaint more than one year after the alleged incident of discrimination.

Revised: March 27, 2013 


The Alberta Human Rights Commission is an independent commission of the Government of Alberta.

Due to confidentiality concerns, the Commission cannot reply to complaints of discrimination by email. Please contact the Commission by phone or regular mail if you have a specific complaint.

You can access information about making FOIP requests for records held by the Commission on our Contact us page.

The Commission will make publications available in accessible formats upon request for people with disabilities who do not read conventional print.