Education: How to resolve a complaint

In some situations, individuals who believe that an educational institution has discriminated against them may get results by first trying to resolve the issue on their own. A conversation with the instructor or administration may be enough to get the matter looked into and resolved. The educational institution may not be aware that it has done anything discriminatory. When told of the problem or concern, the educational institution may stop the discrimination and correct any inequity it might have caused.

For K-12 schools, a call to the school principal or superintendent will often be enough to get the issue looked into or the matter resolved. For disability-related special education issues, parents can request a Minister's Review of school board decisions.

For post-secondary institutions, a call to the human rights advisor, disability resource centre or department chair will usually get the issue looked into or the matter resolved. Most post-secondary institutions have a procedure for handling discrimination complaints as well as an appeal process for dealing with academic accommodation for students with disabilities.

An individual may also choose to seek advice from the Alberta Human Rights Commission about how to deal with the discrimination. The individual may decide to make a human rights complaint to the Commission. A complaint must be made within one year after the alleged incident of discrimination. For information about making a complaint to the Commission, see Making and resolving human rights complaints.

Revised: February 1, 2010



Our vision is a vibrant and inclusive Alberta where the rich diversity of people is celebrated and respected, and where everyone has the opportunity to fully participate in society, free from discrimination.